Wednesday, May 2, 2012

USF Speech-Language Clinic Review

Parent Testimonial/ Fences Make The Best Neighbors

Most of my life has been spent on a university campus.  I attended a university K-12 lab school and then basically became a professional student until I completed my doctorate.  A year after graduating with a terminal degree, I had my first child.  Ghea to say the least is the apple of my eye.  At age two she was diagnosed by her primary physician with speech delay.  Perhaps I was paranoid.  When I expressed my fears to my mother she had a simple response, “Early intervention is the key.”  She then reminded me that Albert Einstein didn’t talk until he was three.  To say that I was still worried is an understatement.  Ironically, I had been bringing my grandmother to University of South Florida’s Speech Language Hearing Center for audiology services with Ghea in tow as an infant.  Only when she became a toddler and interested in the fenced in playground did I begin to inquire. My career is Ghea Leila and even though I really need and desire employment her development is my top priority.  I know that Ghea is smart but she was not expressing herself enough.  Children develop at different rates.  Don’t panic if your child isn’t reaching every milestone, however if you do think there is a delay, don’t sleep on it, schedule an evaluation.  I want for any parent to know that if their child is not hitting developmental milestones, help is here!  The services at USF are academically rigorous for its student population and at the same time so much fun and inspiring for my daughter.  I have seen so much progress in such a short period of time it is unbelievable.  The speech language program is great and proven.  It really gives children the boost they need.  I am overrun with joy and gratitude that Ghea is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment